Biryani Rice Recipe
Biryani rice is a light, aromatic rice dish. biryani rice is easy to prepare and goes very well with any rich vegetarian curry or dal.
Basmati Rice1 cup or 200 grams
Water1.5 to 1.75 cups
Oil or Ghee2 tablespoon
Tej Patta (indian bay leaf)1 medium
Cloves (Lavang)3 to 4
Whole Black Pepper (Sabut kali mirch)4 to 5
Star Anise (chakriphool)1 small
Saffron strands (Kesar)18 to 20
Cinnamon (Dalchini)1 Inch
Green Cardamoms (Chotti Elaichi)3 to 4
Single strands of mace (javitri)2 to 3
Caraway seeds (Shahjeera)½ teaspoon
Ginger garlic paste1 teaspoon
Chopped coriander leaves (dhania patta)1 tablespoon
Mint leaves (Pudina Patta)1 tablespoon
Lemon juice5 to 6 drops
Cashews (Kaju)10 to 12
1 medium Onionthinly sliced Or ? cup thinly sliced onions
Mint leaves or coriander leaves for garnisha few
Tablespoon oil½ to 1
Prep Time Cook Time Total Time 25 mins 15 mins 40 mins
- Course: Main course
- Cuisine: North Indian
- Servings: 3 to 4
- Author: Dassana Amit
- Soaking rice
1. rinse the basmati rice for a couple of times in water.
2. soak the basmati rice in water for 30 minutes.
3. later drain and keep aside.
- For making biryani rice
1. heat oil or ghee in a pressure cooker.
2. add the caraway seeds along with the whole spices and saute them till fragrant.
3. now add the ginger-garlic paste, chopped coriander and mint leaves.
4. saute till the raw aroma of ginger-garlic disappears.
5. then add the soaked rice and saffron strands. stir gently.
6. now add water, 5 to 6 drops of lemon juice and salt.
7. pressure cook for 1 to 2 whistles or for 6 to 7 minutes.
8. if cooking in a pan, then cover the pan tightly with a lid. let the cook rice till its just done.
9. the rice grains should be cooked well and yet remain separate. they should not become soft or mushy. while
cooking in a pan, check in between but don't stir as this will break the rice grains.
10. if you feel the water is less, then just add the required amount of hot water.
11. cover and let the rice cook till done.
- Garnish for biryani rice
1. whilst the rice is cooking, heat oil in a small pan.
2. add the sliced onions and fry till they become golden.
3. add a pinch of salt so that the onions brown quickly.
4. remove and drain them on paper tissues so that the extra oil is soaked.
5. in the same pan, roast the cashews till golden.
6. while being served, garnish the biryani rice with the fried onions, cashews, mint leaves.
7. you can serve biryani rice with any rich vegetarian curry or dal.